Recipe by Lou van
This came from blitzing the remainders of a mushroom, leek, potato and blue cheese vegetable dish. I cooked it in a slow cooker but I'm sure it could be sucessfully adapted to be cooked on the hob. This makes a rather thick soup, add more stock after liquidising if you want it thinner. The following day - This was a great creamy consistency for soup as soon as it was cooked, however I've just cooled it overnight and reheated it and I have to say that the consistency is too thick for soup (however would make a great mushroom and blue cheese sauce for steak) so if you intend to chill it in my opinion you will need to reduce it with some more chicken stock.
Top Review by Tarteausucre
Very good soup, however I let my cheese hating boyfriend pick up the cheese, and I think it might have been a little over powering. So pick a mild - medium blue cheese. Here's a tip I had to relearn the hard way. When blending hot liquids, use small amounts cover with a tea towel and hold on for dear life... or reclean the entire kitchen >_< Made for ZWT 6.
- 3 leeks, finely sliced and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 500 g chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup double cream
- 90 g blue cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Fry the leeks gently for 5 mins then add the garlic, thyme and salt and pepper, gently fry for another 5 minutes.
- Par boil the potatoes for approximately 7 minutes.
- Put the potatoes, leeks and mushrooms into the slow cooker.
- Add the stock and cook on low for approx 7 hours.
- Add cream and cheese 15 minutes before end of cooking time and turn cooker onto high.
- Liquidise in a blender and check seasoning before serving.