Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This came from blitzing the remainders of a mushroom, leek, potato and blue cheese vegetable dish. I cooked it in a slow cooker but I'm sure it could be sucessfully adapted to be cooked on the hob. This makes a rather thick soup, add more stock after liquidising if you want it thinner. The following day - This was a great creamy consistency for soup as soon as it was cooked, however I've just cooled it overnight and reheated it and I have to say that the consistency is too thick for soup (however would make a great mushroom and blue cheese sauce for steak) so if you intend to chill it in my opinion you will need to reduce it with some more chicken stock.
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Fry the leeks gently for 5 mins then add the garlic, thyme and salt and pepper, gently fry for another 5 minutes.
- Par boil the potatoes for approximately 7 minutes.
- Put the potatoes, leeks and mushrooms into the slow cooker.
- Add the stock and cook on low for approx 7 hours.
- Add cream and cheese 15 minutes before end of cooking time and turn cooker onto high.
- Liquidise in a blender and check seasoning before serving.
Very good soup, however I let my cheese hating boyfriend pick up the cheese, and I think it might have been a little over powering. So pick a mild - medium blue cheese. Here's a tip I had to relearn the hard way. When blending hot liquids, use small amounts cover with a tea towel and hold on for dear life... or reclean the entire kitchen >_< Made for ZWT 6.
Love this soup -- it's chock full of some of my favourite ingredients, and so quick and easy-to-make. I decided to cook it on the stovetop and was serving it up within 45 minutes. I made two tiny changes -- added one chopped brown onion and doubled the amount of chicken stock for a soupier consistency. Made and enjoyed for ZWT6.