Recipe by Lainey39
This is a delicious soup recipe. Don't worry if your mushrooms are not "brand new fresh" - all the better. Mushrooms that have browned slightly add color and taste to the soup. I make this in the morning and stop at step 5 until closer to dinner time. The recipe is from Friday Saturday Sunday Restaurant in Philadelphia.
Top Review by mersaydees
This was good. DH said I didn't add enough salt to "fuse" during cooking, so would try that the next time. He also suggested omitting the chicken stock, to make it "creamier". Made for Please Review My Recipe Tag.
- 1 lb white button mushrooms or 1 lb portabella mushrooms or 1 lb oyster mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 quart heavy cream
- cognac, to taste
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the mushrooms into a fine dice.
- Place in a large sauce pot with the butter and saute until moist of the liquid in the mushrooms is cooked off.
- Sprinkle with flour over the mushroom mixture.
- Stir while cooking for a few minutes, then add the chicken stock and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to reduce over a medium flame to half its original volume (about 30 minutes).
- Refrigerate until just before dinner.
- Before serving, heat mixture while adding the heavy cream.
- Add cognac and salt and white pepper to taste.