Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Most people will not be aware of the escargot in this soup. They will think it is chopped mushroom. But you will know. I've made this often and everyone likes it!
- 2 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 (6 ounce) can escargot, drained and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (optional)
- Combine mushrooms, onion, chicken stock and simmer 20 minutes.
- In another pot, melt 4 Tbs butter at medium heat, stir in flour.
- Add milk and cream, cook stirring constantly until thickened and smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir mushroom-chicken stock mixture into sauce.
- Saute escargot, garlic, parsley and green onion in remaining butter (1-2 minutes only).
- Add to soup with wine.
Wow....this is an awesome soup if you like snails. It seems complicated but fun to make as you can see how the separate pots come into play. I use two cans of snails, as I love escargot, and a tad more garlic (who doesn't like garlic?). Best if made at least one day ahead of serving time. Serve with a nice baguette and a chilled white wine. What more can you want in this life?
I haven't made this soup, but I ate it late one night in Paris. It is so good that I ordered another half baguette in order to get every last atom out of the soup bowl.
I didn't have any cream so I used all whole milk and it lacked that richness that cream would have added. But overall a wonderful recipe and easy to make! I might add another clove of garlic next time.