1/2 Photos of Cream of Mushroom Casserole, by Rachael Ray
Looks delicious and easy. Can be made with different vegetables such as, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, or even chicken!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Cream of Mushroom Sauce
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 12 button mushrooms, brushed off with damp towel and chopped
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 236.59 ml whole milk or 236.59 ml cream
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 0.25 ml salt and pepper
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, halved and thinly sliced
- 226.79 g fresh mixed wild mushroom, shitakes, oyster, woodear, your pick, stems trimmed and caps thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme, 4 sprigs, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 78.07 ml dry white wine, eyeball it or, more stock
- 453.59 g extra-wide egg noodles
- 340.19 g gruyere or 340.19 g swiss emmenthaler cheese, shredded
- 44.37 ml chives, 12 to 15 blades, chopped
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the egg noodles.
- 2Heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat.
- 3Add extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, about 1 tablespoon, and 2 tablespoons butter.
- 4When butter melts, add in chopped button mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, until just tender.
- 5Sprinkle in a couple of tablespoons flour and cook 1 minute.
- 6Whisk in chicken stock and bring to a bubble then stir in the whole milk or cream.
- 7Reduce heat to low and gently simmer.
- 8Season the sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- 9Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 10Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan then the shallots and mushrooms.
- 11Cook the mushrooms 8 minutes, until tender.
- 12Season with thyme, salt and pepper and deglaze the pan with 1/3 cup dry white wine or a little stock.
- 13Reduce heat to medium low and let the liquid cook off.
- 14Preheat broiler to high.
- 15While the mushrooms cook, drop egg noodles in water, salt the water and cook noodles to al dente, with a bite to them.
- 16Drain noodles and return to hot pot.
- 17Add the sauce to the pot and toss noodles to coat in sauce.
- 18Lightly cover a casserole dish with softened butter then transfer cream of mushroom noodles to the casserole dish and top with wild mushroom ragout and the shredded cheese.
- 19Place the casserole under the broiler and melt and bubble the cheese until brown at edges.
- 20Garnish with chives.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Mushroom Casserole, by Rachael Ray
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1053.9
- Calories from Fat 465
- Total Fat 51.7 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 212.7 mg
- Sodium 470.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 49.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper