Recipe by ChefRed
Looks delicious and easy. Can be made with different vegetables such as, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, or even chicken!
Cream of Mushroom Sauce
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 12 button mushrooms, brushed off with damp towel and chopped
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 236.59 ml whole milk or 236.59 ml cream
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 0.25 ml salt and pepper
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, halved and thinly sliced
- 226.79 g fresh mixed wild mushroom, shitakes, oyster, woodear, your pick, stems trimmed and caps thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme, 4 sprigs, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 78.07 ml dry white wine, eyeball it or, more stock
- 453.59 g extra-wide egg noodles
- 340.19 g gruyere or 340.19 g swiss emmenthaler cheese, shredded
- 44.37 ml chives, 12 to 15 blades, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the egg noodles.
- Heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat.
- Add extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, about 1 tablespoon, and 2 tablespoons butter.
- When butter melts, add in chopped button mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, until just tender.
- Sprinkle in a couple of tablespoons flour and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock and bring to a bubble then stir in the whole milk or cream.
- Reduce heat to low and gently simmer.
- Season the sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan then the shallots and mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms 8 minutes, until tender.
- Season with thyme, salt and pepper and deglaze the pan with 1/3 cup dry white wine or a little stock.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let the liquid cook off.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- While the mushrooms cook, drop egg noodles in water, salt the water and cook noodles to al dente, with a bite to them.
- Drain noodles and return to hot pot.
- Add the sauce to the pot and toss noodles to coat in sauce.
- Lightly cover a casserole dish with softened butter then transfer cream of mushroom noodles to the casserole dish and top with wild mushroom ragout and the shredded cheese.
- Place the casserole under the broiler and melt and bubble the cheese until brown at edges.
- Garnish with chives.