Recipe by papergoddess
My husband is an avid Morel hunter. This is a deliciously rich soup. From Morelheaven.com
Top Review by dg
I followed this recipe to a 'T' and the next time would use the juice from only 1/4 lemon to not overpower the delicacy of the morels and would double the onion to bring the morel flavor forward.
- 453.59 g morel
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 88.74 ml butter
- 29.58 ml onions, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 73.94 ml flour
- 1064.65 ml beef stock (or rehydrated morel juice) or 1064.65 ml chicken stock (or rehydrated morel juice)
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop morels finely. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Melt 1/3 of the butter in a pan and cook the onion and garlic in it until soft and yellow, but not brown.
- Add morels and cook until juices are absorbed by the mushrooms.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a large saucepan. Stir in the flour then add hot stock, gradually, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture and simmer an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Correct seasonings. Take off heat and add cream. Serve hot.
- (from The Curious Morel, and Basically Morels).