Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My husband is an avid Morel hunter. This is a deliciously rich soup. From Morelheaven.com
Make and share this Cream of Morel Mushroom Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb morel
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 4 1⁄2 cups beef stock (or rehydrated morel juice) or 4 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (or rehydrated morel juice)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Chop morels finely. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Melt 1/3 of the butter in a pan and cook the onion and garlic in it until soft and yellow, but not brown.
- Add morels and cook until juices are absorbed by the mushrooms.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a large saucepan. Stir in the flour then add hot stock, gradually, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the mushroom mixture and simmer an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Correct seasonings. Take off heat and add cream. Serve hot.
- (from The Curious Morel, and Basically Morels).
This was excellent. I could not find my tried and true so I had to try a new one and I must say this was just as tasty. I was cooking for a larger group so I did modify it slightly. I used 6 cups of stock, I used 1/2 beef and 1/2 chicken (that is what I had in the cupboard) I used 3/4 C cream. Everyone loved this, not a drop left!
I made this soup today and it was just wonderful! it had been raining all day and i had some morels in the freezer that i had picked last week. what an incredable supper i had! i did add some lemon thyme to it that i had growing in my garden, at the very end of cooking and it came out great!