Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here is a soup that is elegant, easy to make and tastes terrific. However, do not cook it longer than 3 minutes as the ingredients do not require longer cooking and it will lose color and flavor. The soup is equally delicious served hot in winter or served cold on a hot summer's day.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 leek, finely chopped, including some of the green part
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 iceberg lettuce, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- sour cream (optional)
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Add onion and leek. Saute for 5 minutes without letting them brown.
- Stir in flour, combining it well with onion and leek.
- Add lettuce, frozen peas and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boiling. Simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool a little and blend in cream.
- Puree in blender. Return to saucepan and reheat to serve or serve well chilled with a dollop of sour cream, if you wish.
Had this is Nantucket many years ago. Tastes just the same as I remember. EXCELLENT!