Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is such a delicious soup! It has a lovely consistency and loved by all who I have served it to. This is a real winner! People who have never had it before can't seem to guess whats in it!! Where this recipe calls for Chicken Stock, I use Campbell's Real Stock, and add water. It's so much easier than having to make your own! I usually use 1/2 Chicken and 1/2 Vegetable Stock. If making in advance leave out the beaten egg yolks and scalded cream and add just before re-heating and serving. For the purpose of freezing -leave the beaten egg yolks and scalded cream out until thawed and re-heated.
- 60 g butter
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 bunch chopped parsley
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large lettuce, shredded
- 1 bunch watercress, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup scalded cream
- finely chopped parsley or spring onion (for garnishing)
- Melt the butter in a deep pan.
- Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and tarragon.
- Saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add lettuce and watercress and cook, stirring, for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and put through a blender to puree.
- A handheld is ideal for doing this!
- Return to a clean pan, heat, season with salt and pepper and stir in milk.
- Bring to simmering point.
- Beat egg YOLKS in a bowl and gradually beat in the scalded cream until smooth.
- Stir into soup.
- HEAT, but do NOT BOIL!
- Serve garnished with finely chopped parsley and/or spring onions.
Karin, this was delicious. My hubby learned about lettuce soup from a neighbor and just had to try it. We took it to a friend's as part of a wonderful Easter dinner and everyone loved it.