Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe is from the R.S.V.P. section of a September 1978 issue of Bon Apetit magazine. The recipe is from Fenton's restaurant in Toranto. The addition of the Stilton cheese makes a delicious and unusual soup.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cups leeks, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peeled and diced potato
- 2 cups chicken stock, heayed
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- lemon juice, to taste
- 2 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled
- Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan.
- Add shallots and leeks, cover and cook over medium heat until translucent.
- Add potato and hot chicken stock; cover and cook until potatoes are done, about 20 minutes.
- Place in blender or food processor and puree; return to 2 quart pan.
- In 1 quart saucepan, bring cream to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to very low and cook, stirring frequently, until reduced and slightly thickened,about 45 minutes.
- Add to leak-potato mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add nutmeg, then salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
- Pour into individual bowls and top with crumbled Stilton cheese.