1/1 Photo of Cream of Leek Soup With Onions
Despite all of the onions, this soup is very mild, and sort of sweet, because of the leeks. The smoked gouda cheese is optional (I've already skipped it totally because I had none, or used sharp cheddar or Swiss instead), but the smokey flavor of the cheese goes well with the sweetness of the leeks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 large leeks, diced (white and light green parts)
- 1 cup chopped vidalia onion (or other white onion)
- 6 green onions, chopped (white and light green parts)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup half-and-half (or heavy cream or light cream)
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add in leeks, and onions and saute for about 10 minutes or until they are tender, but not browned.
- 2Stir in flour; mix well.
- 3Add broth, wine, thyme, ground mustard, white pepper, and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- 4Stir in half and half and optional cheese, if using it. Heat through.
- 5Puree with immersion hand blender/blender/food processor to a semi-smooth texture (or make smooth, if desired).
- 6Return to hot pot. Serve.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Leek Soup With Onions
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.2
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 55.1 mg
- Sodium 209.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: