Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 min
This is a creamy soup that can be eaten in a sourdough cannon ball.
- 8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed or 4 yukon gold potatoes, and 4 russets
- 3 (11 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped cleaned and dark green sections removed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic or 5 garlic cloves
- 2 (8 ounce) packages gruyere cheese
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups light cream
- 2 (11 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream of leek soup (optional) or 11 1⁄2 ounces of your favorite cream soup (optional)
- 4 -6 slices cooked bacon, drained, and crumbled (optional)
- In a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 5 minutes. Peel and cube the potatoes, add the leek, the onion, and cook them in the chicken broth until tender on medium to medium-high about 15 minutes.
- Melt butter on medium-low, and then add the flour, and stir consistently until golden brown, be careful not to let this burn. Slowly add the milk and mix consistently and until all of the milk is added. Add the white pepper and the cream of Mushroom soup mix and stir consistently until thick. Add this mix in to the potato mix and mix thoroughly.
- Greate cheese and add slowly to the soup, until all of the cheese is gone.