Vary the garnishes to suit the season for the first course soup from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone cookbook. Try blue cheese, Parmesan or a good Cheddar, you'll love the croutons(and the soup)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups vegetable stock, as needed (or water)
- 6 medium leeks, white parts plus an inch of the greens, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs (try lemon thyme if you can get it!)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup cream (or milk)
- 3 tablespoons chopped herbs (chervil, basil, dill, or tarragon or 1 tbls. chopped rosemary or lovage)
- 1Slice leeks(place roots and tops of green part in freezer to make stock).
- 2Separate the sliced leeks into rings and soak them in a bowl of water for 5 minutes. Lift them out, letting any sand fall to the bottom. You should have about 4 cups, if not, make up the difference with scallions or an onion.
- 3Melt the butter in a soup pot and add the leeks, bay leaf, thyme, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 cup of the stock(or water). Cover the pan and cook over medium heat until the leeks are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour(I mix with 1 tbls. water to form a paste), then pour in remaining stock. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- 4Remove the bay leaf and thyme, puree the soup, then return it to the pot. Add the cream and bring to a simmer. Taste for salt and season with pepper.
- 5Stir in the fresh herbs and serve with a crouton in each bowl. Enjoy!
- 6To make Cheese Croutons:.
- 7Mix the cheese with the Dijon mustard, butter, and a little freshly ground black pepper.
- 8Toast 12 baguette slices, 2 for each person.
- 9Mound a little of the cheese topping on each slice, then broil until the cheese begins to bubble and melt.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Leek and Herb Soup With Cheese Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (13025 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4012.0
- Calories from Fat 548
- Total Fat 60.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 57.6 mg
- Sodium 8631.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 727.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 43.3 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 126.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs