Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
From 500 All-Time Great Recipes. If you cannot find fresh Jerusalem artichokes, feel free to substitute frozen or canned. We also like this with homemade croutons scattered on top!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 elephant garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb jerusalem artichoke, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 1⁄4 cups fresh chicken stock or 3 1⁄4 cups fresh vegetable stock
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch saffron
- white pepper
- fresh chives, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onion and garlic until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Jerusalem artichokes, coating with the butter/onion mixture. Cover the pan with the lid and cook gently on medium-low for about 10-15 minutes.
- Next pour in the stock and milk. Cover again and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Add half the heavy cream and season soup with salt and pepper. Reheat gently.
- Lightly whip the remaining heavy cream and the saffron powder together.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and garnish each serving with a spoonful of the saffron cream.
- Garnish the soup with fresh chives.
- Serve immediately.
Nothing better then a hot bowl of soup! This is just yummy comfort soup.My sunchokes, garlic, saffron and chives where all home grown. I was happy to still find a couple chives hanging on in the garden. I used Green Herb Seasoned Salt and lots of black pepper. The saffron color infused into the cream beautifully. Nice touch. Thanks CG