Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Very tasty. For a richer soup, use the heavy cream and serve small portions. To make vegetarian, just sub veggie broth for chicken stock.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 cups half-and-half (or heavy cream if you prefer)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in large saucepan and sauté jalapeños, onion, and garlic for 8- 9 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for another 7 minutes (should be saucy).
- Scoop avocado flesh into a small bowl and break it up coarsely with a fork.
- Add to veggies, heat briefly, then stir in half& half (or cream), chicken stock, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Do not boil!
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
Excellent soup. Didn't have an avocado and dislike cilantro but even without them it was still marvelous. Frankly it tasted better the following day once the flavors blended.
Very tasty. I really thought this would have been spicier! I did add some habanaro powder to kick it up. I used yellow onion,6 cloves garlic,1 very large home grown tomato, 1 cup fat free half and half,and a 14 1/2 ounce can of chicken broth.This is quick, easy, colorful and tasty! Thank you for posting Carianne.