Recipe by Carianne
Very tasty. For a richer soup, use the heavy cream and serve small portions. To make vegetarian, just sub veggie broth for chicken stock.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 cups half-and-half (or heavy cream if you prefer)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large saucepan and sauté jalapeños, onion, and garlic for 8- 9 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for another 7 minutes (should be saucy).
- Scoop avocado flesh into a small bowl and break it up coarsely with a fork.
- Add to veggies, heat briefly, then stir in half& half (or cream), chicken stock, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Do not boil!
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Adjust salt and pepper as needed.