Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this recipe a few years back when I was desperately trying to use up a surplus of frozen green peas. This soup recipe is perfect for a light and lazy summer meal and quick to prepare. Garnish each serving with a mint leaf if desired.
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup finely minced celery & leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce or 1 cup mixed greens
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped (NOT dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- white pepper
- 1 dash freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup real sour cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- Saute onion, celery and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add frozen peas, lettuce and broth. Heat until very hot but not boiling, then add milk, reduce heat and simmer covered 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, transfer the soup mixture into a blender (or use an immersion blender), add the mint and parsley and process until smooth.
- Stir in the salt and white pepper, nutmeg, sour cream and butter. Blend soup mixture well by hand. Heat through and serve with a smile.
Cookgirl, once more you provided just what I was looking for! This is another soup my husband, daughter and I loved at La Cave wine bar in Dublin, and husband requested it the minute we got home. Add fresh bread and butter, and what a lovely meal!