Prep 12 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was so surprised when I found this recipe. It's made with fresh green beans, and uses potatoes to thicken it instead of flour or cornstarch. I especially like the tarragon in this soup. If it gets too thick, use the larger amount of whipping cream. To save calories, I like to use fat-free half and half. This was in a box of my mother's clipped recipes. I don't know where she clipped it from....looked like magazine paper to me.
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2-1 cup whipped cream or 1⁄2-1 cup half & half light cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Saute the green onions, shallot and garlic in the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Set aside.
- Cook the diced potatoes in boiling water to cover for 15 minutes, or until tender (depends on how small you diced them); drain well, and set aside.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan; add green beans, and cook 30 to 35 minutes or until tender. Add the reserved green onions and potato; stir well.
- Transfer half of the green bean mixture to the container of an electric blender; cover and process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down the sides. Repeat the procedure with the remaining green bean mixture. (Sometimes I like to use my immersion blender, leaving some of the pieces whole). Return the pureed mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in whipping cream or half and half, lemon juice, and tarragon. Cook until thoroughly heated. Serve, and sprinkle with black pepper.
This soup is delicious! We had a massive glut of green beans this year and had searched for some recipes to use them up. I made a batch which supplied about six generous servings and it was so good I gave some to my neighbours. They were incredibly impressed with it so I handed the recipe on.
One of the best soup I made in a while. This would be perfect with guests during the holidays. I also steamed the potatoes while doing the other steps. I used half and half cream. The lemon juice is a great addition. Thanks Breezermom :) Made for Photo tag game
Although I pretty much followed the listed ingredient & amounts for half a batch of this soup, I did steam the diced potatoes instead of boiling them! I also used unsalted butter & seasoned the soup with lemon pepper instead of just the pepper! A very nice soup was made from your recipe, & your posting it is much appreciated ~ Definitely a keeper! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar Tag]