Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a creamy, rich, dinner party type soup. Yet it's so easy to make and so delicious that I make it often. Don't be put off by the amount of garlic, as it cooks so long it becomes mellow and smooth tasting. I got the original recipe for this from the Epicurious website, but have made several changes and additions.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped (I prefer portobellos)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup peeled garlic, cloves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine (I use sweet)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups dense white bread, in small pieces (I use ciabatta)
- Saute chopped mushrooms in olive oil over high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir as little as possible so that they brown, not steam.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, half and half, sherry, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the bread pieces, stir well, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until the bread has dissolved and the soup is smooth.
- (You can also do this in batches in a blender or food processor, but use caution to avoid burns.) Add the reserved mushrooms to the pureed soup and heat through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Wonderful Soup...my family thought they were back in Germany. I didn't use Half and Half but whole milk with a spoon full of sourcream. Dry red wine 1/4 cup. Only had white Mushrooms, but will try with portobellos next time because I just love them. I didn't puree because I added the mushroom to soon, but I whisked the soup to break up the bread. I thought the soup was wonderful will make it again and again.
Awesome! We used less bread by a lot to make the soup less thick.
Absolutely delicious and easy! Did not puree all the mushrooms as my hubby like some 'chunk' to his mushrooms.