This is a creamy, rich, dinner party type soup. Yet it's so easy to make and so delicious that I make it often. Don't be put off by the amount of garlic, as it cooks so long it becomes mellow and smooth tasting. I got the original recipe for this from the Epicurious website, but have made several changes and additions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped (I prefer portobellos)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup peeled garlic, cloves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup sherry wine (I use sweet)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups dense white bread, in small pieces (I use ciabatta)
- 1Saute chopped mushrooms in olive oil over high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- 2Stir as little as possible so that they brown, not steam.
- 3Remove from pan and set aside.
- 4Melt butter over medium-low heat.
- 5Add onions and garlic.
- 6Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- 8Add the broth, half and half, sherry, thyme, and bay leaf.
- 9Stir well and bring to a boil.
- 10Lower heat and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- 11Add the bread pieces, stir well, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- 12Discard the bay leaf.
- 13Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until the bread has dissolved and the soup is smooth.
- 14(You can also do this in batches in a blender or food processor, but use caution to avoid burns.) Add the reserved mushrooms to the pureed soup and heat through.
- 15Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Garlic, Onion, and Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.3
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 30.1 mg
- Sodium 937.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 10.9 g