Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
Creamy soup that's still vegan! It can be a cream of broccoli, cream of asparagus, or peas depending on the vegetable you choose. Will try this later this week, but it sounds terrific and I'm sure I'll love it. One of my favorite meals is soup with bread and our yummy hummus. From The Best of Silver Hills Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine cookbook. Update: This is our new favorite vegan broccoli soup! I'm excited to try it with the asparagus next time. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh peas (Choose ONE) or 1 1⁄2 cups fresh broccoli (Choose ONE) or 1 1⁄2 cups fresh asparagus (Choose ONE)
- 2⁄3 cup diced fresh peas (same vegetable as selected above) or 2⁄3 cup fresh broccoli (same vegetable as selected above) or 2⁄3 cup fresh asparagus (same vegetable as selected above)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄8 cup carrot, shredded
- 4 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons vegan chicken seasoning (I use McKay's vegan chicken seasoning) or 2 tablespoons vegetable stock powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- Steam 1 1/2 cups vegetables in a small amount of water until cooked.
- Place steamed vegetables in blender and blend until smooth. Place blended vegetables in a small bowl.
- Pour olive oil in the bottom of a 2-quart saucepan and saute onion, celery, and carrot.
- Add 3 cups of water to saucepan and bring to a slow boil. Add blended vegetables and 2/3 cup of chopped fresh vegetables. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place cashews, 1 cup of water and seasonings in blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add to soup and bring to a boil. Serve.
I forgot to click 5 stars on the last review. Again, delish!
This soup was awesome!! I used broccoli too & made vegan fettucine with tofutti cream cheese as an accompaniment. Kids & adults had a hard time deciding which recipe they liked better, but all was eaten :o). Thanks for this healthy, delicious recipe Enjolinfam
Thank you so much! This was just great! I used broccoli and I wouldn't have known it was dairy free by the look and taste. I served it with french bread and it was wonderful dipped in the soup. I love a healthy recipe like this, especially when my husband and son enjoyed it too. The only thing I would change is to cut the salt back a bit, but it was just so awesome!