Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe basically tastes like buttered peas. Frozen peas are fine, maybe even better if you don't have perfectly fresh garden peas. From America's Test Kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Slowly add the broth, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the peas to the soup and simmer until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender (or food processor) until smooth.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot and stir in the cream. Bring to a brief simmer, then remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- To Make Ahead.
- This soup can be prepared through step 2, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 3 days. It cannot be frozen. Reheat over low heat and proceed with step 3.