Recipe by Sass Smith
This recipe basically tastes like buttered peas. Frozen peas are fine, maybe even better if you don't have perfectly fresh garden peas. From America's Test Kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Slowly add the broth, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the peas to the soup and simmer until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender (or food processor) until smooth.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot and stir in the cream. Bring to a brief simmer, then remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- To Make Ahead.
- This soup can be prepared through step 2, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 3 days. It cannot be frozen. Reheat over low heat and proceed with step 3.