Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from the original Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook. It is an incredibly delicious fresh soup! It is ridiculously simple and is specifically designed for very, very fresh green beans - straight from a garden, if possible. The simplicity assumes that the beans are delicious in and of themselves. If you try this with inferior (old, tough, out-of-season) or frozen beans, the results can't be guaranteed.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs very fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups hot milk (soy milk will work)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- minced fresh basil or chives (optional)
- Steam the green beans until just tender and bright green.
- Use a blender to purée the beans in the milk until very smooth.
- Return the purée to the pot and season to taste.
- heat very gently (don't boil it) just before serving.
- You can also chill the soup and serve it cold.
- Top each serving with a scattering of minced fresh herbs, if desired.
- Note: You can use half rich chicken stock and half milk- or even cream- for a more intense soup.
Well, it makes about 2 decent sized servings. If this is the main part of your meal, don't forget the bread! Very quick and easy to prepare. It is a pleasant change and quite delicious in its own right. Couldn't convince my toddler that she liked it but all that means is that green beans are not her favourite.