Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another delicious soup created around a basic soup base.
Make and share this Cream of Fresh Green Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh green beans, cut in pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, combine the chicken broth, chopped onion, green beans and savory.
- Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until vegetable is tender.
- Place half of the vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor.
- Cover and blend 30 to 60 seconds or till smooth. Take care when blending hot liquids. Pour into bowl.
- Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture; set all aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter or margarine.
- Whisk in flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the milk all at once, whisking till smooth.
- Cook and stir till mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the blended vegetable mixture.
- Cook and stir till soup is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How good is this - it had me hunting though my reviews - my cookbooks and finally found the well used copy in my recipe drawer with last seasons recipe finds. Knew I loved bean soups fresh and dried but this is the first recipe for cream of green bean I've made or tasted. Before I do anything else taking time to review - can't chance losing this one! Made as posted, it is one terific soup using either the dried savory or the fresh snipped in. One of the benefits of reviewing - the recipe is always there when you need it! Thank you, look forward to making pots of creamed green bean soup again this summer.