Recipe by NannyMarvel
This a an extremely delicious and easy soup. I am posting many other vegetable soups using this same technique - only the vegetables and seasonings change.
Top Review by PugMomma
Yummoh!!! I was looking thru so many asparagus soup recipes..was looking specifically for something not too fattening and with not too many ingredients. I had asparagus on hand and not much else. This one fit the bill and boy it's a winner. Very good soup, nice flavor, few ingredients and simple to make. I didn't have mace on hand, so I used a little cumin. Liked the flavor and added some more to taste. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups asparagus, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine the chicken broth, chopped onion, asparagus, lemon juice and ground mace. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until vegetable is tender.
- Place half of the vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend 30 to 60 seconds or till smooth. Take care when blending hot liquids. Pour into bowl. Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture; set all aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter or margarine. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Add the milk all at once, whisking till smooth. Cook and stir till mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in the blended vegetable mixture. Cook and stir till soup is heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.