Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Nice warm and easy fennel soup
Make and share this Cream of Fennel Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Wash, and trim and cut fennel into quarters, reserving any feathery upper leaves to garnish the soup.
- Then, finely slice or dice, discarding the cores.
- Mince the onion.
- Melt the buttter in a 4 quart saucepan and slowly saute fennel and onion untill wilted and soft, approx 15 minute.
- Sprinkle on flour stirring cook 3-4 minute
- Then add chicken stock and whisk to remove lumps.
- Bring to a boil. reduce heat simmer 15-20 minute.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolk and cream. Gradually add small amounts to the hot soup to the egg mixture to warm.
- Then slowly add the egg mixture to the soup whisking constantly.
- Heat without boiling and season with Salt/Pepper to taste.
- Garnish with minced fennel leaves.
- For a smoother textrue, puree the soup before adding egg mixture.
I loved this soup! It is simple, but with with fennel, you really don't need lots of other flavors. I made this as written, and did the partial puree. The egg yolk and flour thicken this just perfectly without making it too rich or thick. I used the fennel leaves for a pretty garnish. Thanx for sharing!