1/3 Photos of Cream of Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
I tried a similar soup at a restaurant and decided to recreate it at home. I use low sodium chicken broth and skim milk. I don't add additional salt, so you might want to taste and add it as necessary to meet your preferences. If you use plain wild rice (the box usually comes with seasonings), you'll probably need to add some additional seasonings. I also like to use leftover wild rice in here and adjust the other proportions according to the amount I have on hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 ounce) box long grain and wild rice blend
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 chicken tenderloins
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1Prepare rice according to package directions. The box I use usually runs about 25 minutes, so I usually give it a 10 minute head start and then start working on the rest.
- 2In another pan, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- 3Cut the chicken into pieces and coat with the corn starch and pepper. Put chicken into the boiling broth and reduce heat to medium.
- 4Add carrots, celery, and mushrooms to the broth mixture and let cook until tender.
- 5Meanwhile, in a small pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- 6Add onions and saute until soft.
- 7Stir in flour, coating onions and absorbing the butter.
- 8Stir milk into flour mixture, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- 9When rice is done, add to the broth mixture and stir in rosemary and sage.
- 10Stir the flour mixture into the broth mixture and heat through, stirring until thickened throughout.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.9
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 31.4 mg
- Sodium 455.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
long grain and wild rice blend