Recipe by SusieQusie
Creamy soups are a weakness of mine - all that smooth, fatty goodness ... This tweaky Heart Smart® recipe gives my soul what it needs yet gives my heart a break, pun intended ;-). But wait! That's not all - act now- a hidden bonus to this recipe - you get to hone your knife skills while chopping the vegetables! Who-yah! What an aerobic workout!
Top Review by Lacer
Made this today to take for lunch next week. Didn't have bouillon granules, so I used 5 cubes of bouillon, otherwise followed this recipe to a T. Very good! I didn't think there was a way to make a creamy, delicious soup without a ton of fat and calories, but you and HeartSmart found a way. Thanks Susie!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup grated raw potato
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot with water to cover, poach chicken breasts until done; 10-15 minutes. Cool and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Reserve broth and add water to equal 1 1/2 quarts. (6 cups) Add chicken bouillon granules and simmer until dissolved.
- In a smaller pan, mix 2 cups of the stock with grated potato. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until potato is tender and stock in thickened. Pour into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add potato puree back to reserved chicken stock.
- Stir into the now thickened stock, the garlic, onion, celery, zucchini, carrots, parsley, thyme, basil, pepper and mushrooms. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in milk. Do not let mixture boil.
- Stir cornstarch into cold water. Add to stock and stir quickly.
- Add back chicken pieces and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened; about 5 minutes. Enjoy!
- Serving size = 1 cup.