Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the perfect soup to serve on cold winter nights.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg yolk, at room temp.,slightly beaten
- homemade crouton (to garnish)
- In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
- Add the stock and heat through.
- In a heavy frying pan, melt the butter over low heat, add the flour and seasoning and stir.
- Add a bit of the stock to the flour mixture, blend well, and pour back into the stock.
- Add some of the warm stock to the bowl with the beaten egg yolk.
- Stir to blend, then add the egg to the stock in the saucepan.
- Serve immediately with homemade croutons.
I made this to use in a chicken pot pie when I was out of canned soup, and it worked beautifully. It was easy to make. Like another reviewer, I used a little more flour to thicken it more. Very tasty soup, thanks for sharing the recipe, Rita.
I used this in place of canned cream of chicken soup in a casserole recipe. It worked terrific .It is a little thinner than the canned stuff, so as another reviewer suggested, if you want that consistency you might want to add a little more flour.
Really good! I used Wondra as the flour. I used a bit more to make it real thick because i was using this cream of chicken soup in a caserole recipe. thanks for this great recipe! Ill use it from now on instead of the store bought that has nasties (msg) in it.