Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nutritious and delicious
Make and share this Cream of Chicken Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (with leaves)
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 12 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes more.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Add the parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the heavy cream, sherry, and salt into the soup and season with pepper to taste. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Divide among soup bowls, sprinkle the top of each soup with the chopped parsley and serve immediately.