Recipe by brokenburner
From "Dining In"; I've always wanted to find a kosher "cream of chicken soup" recipe, and now I have one! I had to play around a bit with the amount of liquids, especially when cooking the rice because I used an immersion blender... it might work okay as listed with a food processor.
Top Review by socialgal
This is one of the BEST soups I have ever had! I made this for a family dinner and everyone devoured it- asking for seconds and thirds...This is such a nice change from regular chicken soup and is really more like a meal in itself because it is so filling. When I did make it, I omitted the peas since most of my family does not like them and no one noticed that they were missing. I also followed the suggestion of cooking the rice in chicken stock instead of water for flavor and I think that did help with the flavor. I will definitely be making this again soon!
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup raw rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chicken, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in oil until clear.
- Add water and rice and cook until soft.
- Blend with hand blender or puree in food processor and return to pot.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil; simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Note: The "cream" in this soup is made by blending rice. You can add less water, if you like a thicker soup.