Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 1 gallon cold water
- 1 whole fryer chicken
- oil, for, sauteing
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- black pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- Add salt, peppercorns, carrot, onion and celery to water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook chicken until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Skim impurities from top of water as the chicken cooks.
- When done, strain remaining stock and set aside.
- Remove meat from bones and set aside.
- Saute diced bell peppers.
- Stir in reserved chicken, set aside.
- In a skillet, combine butter and flour.
- Cook over low heat until the mixture is thick and golden, about 1/2 hour.
- To reserved stock add cream, chicken and peppers and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Whisk in flour and butter mixture.
- Add Tabasco to taste.
- Simmer until flavors blend.
Totally comforting! I recommend making the roux while the chicken is cooking & sauteing the peppers while the roux is cooking while the chicken is cooking. Be careful adding the roux to the hot broth - there was a lot of noise but minimal spatter but it was a bit alarming. The biggest effort in this recipe is picking apart the chicken. I added a good amount (2TB?) of Tabasco at the end & a lot of salt but this makes a LOT of stewy soup. It is so creamy & delicious. I served it over rice & am happy to have some leftovers even after everyone had 2nds! The pot I used JUST held 1 gallon of water with the chicken so I let it cook about 20 minutes before I added the veggies. I didn't measure the peppers - I just used 1 of each green, yellow & red. A very nice recipe made for Pepperpot! in the Caribbean Forum 6/2012.