Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a soup I made with random items I had in my fridge. I find with soups that it's pretty easy to fudge and have it turn out well anyway, so feel free to adjust the amounts of the ingredients to your personal taste. Enjoy!
- 1 chicken carcass
- 2 bunches green onions or 2 bunches scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon Mrs Dash's extra spicy seasoning
- water to cover chicken carcass
- salt and pepper
- 1 (5 ounce) package dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup wild rice
- Place chicken carcass in large stockpot; cover with water. Add scallions, bouillon cubes, seasoning packet (or alternative), salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 2 hours. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain and keep broth, reserving chicken carcass and any meat that has separated from carcass but discarding other solids. Remove any remaining meat from carcass and discard carcass. Put liquid from soup and chicken meat back into stockpot over low heat.
- Meanwhile, reconstitute mushrooms as directed on package. Discard mushroom water or save for another recipe. Wash mushrooms and pat dry. Place mushrooms in food processor and process until they are finely diced. Melt butter over medium-high heat in medium saucepan; add garlic and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms and garlic are browned (about 8 minutes). Turn heat down to medium. Add kale and stir, cooking until kale wilts, about 5 minutes. Add cream or half and half, thyme, nutmeg and paprika, adjusting amounts if desired. Remove 2 cups of chicken stock from stockpot; place in saucepan with mushroom mixture. Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, fry turkey burgers or ground turkey (shaped into small balls) until brown. Drain fat; chop turkey burgers (if using) into chunks of about 1"x1". Add to stockpot. Add mushroom mixture to stockpot. Stir and simmer over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add rice to stockpot. Adjust liquid volume in stockpot with water, if necessary. Cover stockpot and let simmer until rice is cooked. Serve with crusty bread. Yum!