Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a typically southern Styrian soup, that is usually served in autuum/winter. It is very rich, warming and comes with different, wonderfully spicy aromas. Schilcher is a special Styrian rosé wine, rather dry, you can substitute Schilcher with any dry or medium dry rosé wine. I usually buy ready cooked chestnuts (available here). If you can't get hold of these, roast about 750g chestnuts in the oven, peel and chop.
- Heat butter in a pot and add chopped shallots.
- Let them fry on medium heat until translucent.
- Add chopped chestnuts.
- Add Schilcher (wine) and vegetable broth.
- Add cinnamon and ground cloves.
- Let soup cook until thickened (about 20min).
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche on top.