- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups aged cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in soup pot over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and cumin. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook 1 minute more. Whisk in the chicken stock and heavy cream, bring up to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat. While whisking add the grated cheese in 3 additions.
- Serve soup immediately.