Recipe by Julesong
A tasty recipe from "The Brimming Basket," the newsletter of the Pike Place Market Basket CSA. It was adapted from "The New Laurel's Kitchen."
Top Review by *Parsley*
Loved it! It was hearty and filling without being high in fat. I did use the optional cabbage. For the milk, I used fat free half and half. All the celery and the leaves gave it a great flavor. Partially pureeing made it a little thick, which was nice. Thanx for a wonderful soup!
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups broth
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 bunch celery, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 head cabbage, chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley or 1⁄4 cup celery leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups whole milk or 2 cups more broth
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in oil until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the potatoes, celery, and celery seed, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are completely softened.
- If using cabbage, add it now and cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup mixture to a blender or food processor, and whir until pureed.
- Pour puree back into the pot and add the salt, pepper, parsley or celery leaves, paprika, and milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Note: also good with a couple of tablespoons chopped basil added, and with Parmesan shavings as garnish.