Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a wonderful way to prepare an ugly vegetable.
- 2 celery root (buy with leaves still attached if possible)
- 6 slices bacon, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper
- If you have te leaves, remove a few of the tender, light green leaves and set aside.
- Peel celery roots.
- Wash and cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes.
- Put the celery root, water and salt into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and cook until the celery root is tender, aprox.
- 35 minutes.
- While the root is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the bacon pieces and saute until the bacon is crisp and golden.
- Remove to paper towels and drain.
- Wash and dry celery leaves.
- When the celery root is tender, pour into a blender with all the liquid and process until smooth.
- Add heavy cream and remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil seperately, blending well after each addition.
- Pour soup back into pan and reheat.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls and garish with bacon and celery leaves.
- Serve right away.