Recipe by Roosie
We recently discovered that we love cauliflower. Cardamom is a personal favorite too. :) This recipe can be served warm or cold and is from "The Bread & Circus Whole Foods Bible"!
Top Review by COOKGIRl
I love the flavors of cardamom and cauliflower together. Used 2/3 cup whole milk and 1/3 whipping cream. Added a bit more cardamom at the end. I couldn't figure out why this soup was so spicy until I realized I forgot that it has jalapeno. Out of mace, used a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, cored seeded and minced (you may keep the seeds if you want it to be hotter)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 large cauliflower, cored and chopped (about 2lbs)
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- fresh chives, chopped, to garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a soup pot and add the garlic, jalapeno, onions, cardamom and mace.
- Sautee until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce to a heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Strain soup, seperating and reserving liquid and solids.
- Puree the vegetables in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return vegetable puree to the soup pot and add milk.
- Add enough liquid to reach desired thickness.
- Season with salt and pepper and gently reheat.
- Garnish with chives, if desired.
- For Vegetarian use vegetable stock and for Vegan also use soy milk.