Recipe by loof
My mom was cleaning out one of her closets and came across several folders full of recipes that she had clipped from magazines and newpapers over the years. I can't tell which newspaper this came from. This is a simple and flavorful soup!
Top Review by Lori Mama
Made for a satisfyingly warm dinner on a cold night. I subbed in some chicken stock for the water and I used 2 cups milk and 1 cup light cream instead of all cream. Need to watch the fat intake. Made for Photo Tag in the Photo Forum. :)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups light cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash cauliflower and remove stem and tough outer leaves. Place in a soup kettle with the 2 cups water, salt, and lemon juice. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cover and cook 15 more minutes. Drain, reserving liquid. Cut cauliflower into small pieces.
- Melt butter in the kettle. Stir in flour. Cook 2 minutes.
- Gradually add cauliflower cooking liquid and cook slowly, stirring, until smooth and thickened.
- Add bay leaf, thyme, additional salt to taste, pepper, and cream. Cook, stirring, until thick and creamy.
- Add cauliflower pieces and cook another 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Serve garnished with parsley.