1/2 Photos of Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Stella Mae's Note:
Creamy and thick, a delicious soup from The Daily Yomiuri newspaper, Japan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large leek
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 675 g cauliflower, trimmed to small florets (1 head)
- 340 g baking potatoes, peeled and diced (1)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, to taste
- 1/4 cup fat free sour cream or 1/4 cup heavy cream (can use no fat creamer or low fat milk)
- salt, to taste
- grated nutmeg
- 1Trim root end and tough, green leaves from leek.
- 2Quarter the leek lengthwise leaving attached at root end, and wash well under running water, pulling leaves apart to remove all grime.
- 3Slice the leek thinly.
- 4Combine leek and butter in soup pot.
- 5Cover and heat slowly over a medium heat, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.
- 6Cook ten minutes, then add shallot.
- 7Continue cooking, covered, stirring occasionally until leek is very soft, about 10 more minutes.
- 8Increase heat to medium-high and add wine.
- 9Cook, stirring, until wine has reduced by about half.
- 10Add cauliflower and potato, stirring until coated with leek mixture.
- 11Add chicken stock and water, cover and bring to a boil-- about 5 minutes-- and cauliflower should mash with a spoon.
- 12Remove half the soup to a blender.
- 13Add half of mustard and sour cream, pulse to grind, then increase to puree.
- 14Remove to clean saucepan and repeat process in blender with remaining cauliflower mixture, mustard and sour cream.
- 15Bring back to simmer-- do not allow to boil or sour cream will curdle-- and season to taste with salt and additional mustard.
- 16Ladle into bowls and grate fresh nutmeg over top.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2703 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.0
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 17.7 mg
- Sodium 198.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 4.8 g