Recipe by ozzygirl
I find this soup to be very similar to Potato and Leek soup but its refreshing to taste the cauliflower and cheese through it. A winter warmer that will delight.
- 1 head cauliflower (cut up)
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cream
For the toast
- baguette, slices
- gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot add oil and butter and melt.
- Saute onion, leek, garlic, thyme and basil until softened.
- Add potato and cauliflower and toss through.
- Add vegetable stock and bay leaves and cook for around 40 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Blend half the soup in a blender or with a hand held blitzer.
- Mash with a potato masher the other half of the soup.
- Add the blended half of the soup back with the mashed soup.
- Return to heat and add the cheese. Stir till dissolved (this wont take long so dont leave it too long).
- Add the cream and stir through.
- To top with toast:.
- Slice a baguette into thin slices.
- Cover the slices with slices of gruyere cheese (if you dont have gruyere, then use cheddar or whatever cheese suits you).
- Bake the slices in the oven for about 5 minutes at 180 until the cheese has melted.
- If the slices are too big for the soup, quarter them or half them.
- Serve on top of the soup.