Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I don't remember where I got this recipe from but it is one of my favorite "entertaining" soup recipes. When we have guests for dinner I always include a soup as a starter, and this one is always a hit with its delicate flavor and smooth consistency. My children always enjoyed this soup as well.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion
- 6 carrots
- 1 stalk celery, with leaves
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or about 1 1/2 inches of ginger root, finely grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in heavy-bottomed soup pot. Coarsely chop vegetables. Add onions, carrots and celery to butter in pot. Saute on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add potatoes, ginger, rosemary and parsley. Stir in stock. Cook, partially covered, until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes). In batches, puree vegetables and stock in a blender and return to pot. Stir in cream, add salt and pepper to taste and reheat but do not boil.
Absolutely delicious!! So easy to make. My husband who despises vegetables had seconds. Only had one potato, and no half and half. So, I substituted cream cheese, about 5 heaping tsps. What a wonderful way to use up carrots before they go bad. Will definitely make this again. Next time I will follow the recipe exactly.
Wonderfully comforting soup with a rich, velvety mouth-feel. Took barely any time to make; in the time it took me to bake a pizza, this soup was ready to be pureed. My only modification was adding fresh sage to the rosemary and parsley (we had a lot on hand). My husband, a not-so-enthusiastic veggie eater, went back for seconds, then thirds. I topped with a little parmesan/reggiano and it was fantastic. I'm wondering how a little chopped bacon or pancetta at the end would taste too, hmm... Will make again and again.
Wow...I made this soup exactly as directed and it was amazing! You could actually even do without the cream, it is so delicious. This is definitely a 10-star recipe, and so easy- I looked like a real pro serving this to my guests! Thank you for sharing!