Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Based on a soup recipe from Beatrice Ojakangas' book, The Finnish Cookbook. I confess that I added the brandy to the carrots!
- 1 lb carrot
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- Peel carrots. Cook carrots in beef broth and brandy until tender, adding additional brandy if necessary. Drain, reserving the stock, and strain or mash the carrots to make a smooth puree.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the flour, and stir until blended.
- Add the milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Heat to the boiling point and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add reserved stock, carrot puree, sugar, and pepper.
- Garnish each serving with parsley and a dash of nutmeg.
I very much enjoyed this. Rich and creamy. I added 3 cups milk, but 2 were whole milk and 1 was 1%, so because of that - the last 1 cup I added was 1/2 cup half and half and 1/2 cup heavy cream to make up the "fat" content. It still worked out to be 4 cups total so that didn't alter the recipe at all. Worked out great.
Two changes were ... I felt it needed a little onion, so I diced up a couple of scallions as a garnish. That was all I needed
My second change, I didn't add the sugar. However ... I think it depends on your carrots. Mine were very sweet and very fresh from the farmers market. I think that is really what will determine whether you need sugar or not. My carrots were sweet as is.
But that was it. Very easy, tasty, warming and comfort food. Made it sunday and having a big bowl for dinner tonight. Loved it.
Thx for a very nice recipe.
very nice soup the brandy gave it a richer taste a very nice soup for this winter that doesnt cost alot of money and is really good for you moms the imiataion brandy works here just a capfull really no sugar for me didnt miss it zaar tour 6
Delicious soup even better than my BIL's who is from Espoo. ;)Yum! Perfect for a cold wintry day. I left out the sugar.