1/3 Photos of Cream of Carrot Soup
1 hr 15 mins
Rich tasting, warm and comforting. I had a recipe I loved for this soup, but the original called for a lot more butter and 2 cups of heavy cream. I didn't really want to save this soup for special occasions only, so I attempted to reduce the fat & calories by reducing the butter and replacing the cream with evaporated milk - I have even tried evaporated skim milk with success (but it is better with whole evaporated milk). If I am serving this to guests, I use the half-n- half, but for just me I like it with the milk. I have never missed the cream in this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml onion, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 1064.65 ml carrots, peeled,thinly sliced
- 1 large potato, peeld,cubed
- 2 (822.13 g) can 98% fat free chicken broth or 2 (822.13 g) can vegetable broth
- 4.92 ml ground ginger powder
- 473.18 ml evaporated milk or 473.18 ml half-and-half cream
- 4.92 ml crushed dried rosemary
- 2.46 ml salt, to taste
- 0.59 ml black pepper, to taste
- 1In a large stockpot, melt butter and saute onion until soft and tender, about 5 minutes or so.
- 2Add carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, and ginger powder.
- 3Cover and cook on medium heat 30 minutes or until veggies are very tender.
- 4Remove from heat and let cool 15 minutes.
- 5Using a stick blender, puree the soup right in the pot (or pour some into a blender and puree- you'll have to do this in batches though).
- 6Return to heat and add milk, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- 7Cook over low heat until heated through, maybe 5 minutes or so.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Carrot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.3
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 25.9 mg
- Sodium 711.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 6.7 g