1/1 Photo of Cream of Carrot Soup
I made this with fat-free half & half to lighten it up a bit. I couldn't tell from the original recipe whether to simmer the carrots covered or uncovered - doing it covered made a fairly thin soup. If you want a thicker soup, I'd imagine leaving it uncovered would help. From The Joy of Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/4 cups chicken stock or 4 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, cut into very thick slices
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half cream or 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1Heat butter and 1/4 cup of stock in a large soup pot over medium-low heat, until butter is melted.
- 2Add onions, ginger, and curry powder and cover.
- 3Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened but not browned.
- 4Add remaining stock, orange juice, and carrots.
- 5Bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes (or until carrots are tender).
- 7Puree soup.
- 8Return to pot, add cream or milk, black pepper, and season with salt to taste.
- 9Simmer until warmed through and serve.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream of Carrot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 318.5
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 48.4 mg
- Sodium 519.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 18.5 g
- Protein 9.5 g