Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a family favourite recipe. It was my husband's grandmother's recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground fresh black pepper
- 1 cup cold milk
- Saute onion in olive oil. Add carrots, potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add herbs, tobasco and Worcestershire sauce and black pepper.
- Simmer covered until carrots and potatoes are tender (15 minutes). Cool slightly and remove bay leaf.
- Blend soup until smooth.
- Stir in milk. To serve hot, allow to return to a gentle boil.
I added some lean ground pork, which I fried in it's own fat. It is a wonderful soup! Everyone loved it!!