Recipe by Tish
Posted in response to request. This is a soothing soup...giving true comfort to your soul!
Top Review by donna_boehringer
This is my first recipe review I've ever written - I had to because it was so wonderful! My son is into experimenting with vegetables (he's on a health kick) now we both love roasted brussel sprouts, but that's the only way... This soup was fantastic! I followed the recipe exactly and it was fabulous. I did experiment afterwards with separate bowls and tried more hot sauce - not for me. Also tried sherry because I saw it in another recipe while looking for a brussel sprout soup. I actually did like the sherry addition, son didn't......But as I said following the recipe exactly was great. Another thing I might try to lighten it up is leave out the last 3 tablespoons of butter....
but again perfect as is!
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce (or more if preferred)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim tough outer leaves if sprouts and put and X in each stem.
- Drop sprouts into boiling chicken broth and simmer until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Blend sprouts in a food processor, reserving cooking liquid.
- Melt 3 Tbs of the butter in a saucepan and stir in flour.
- Blend well.
- Add reserved liquid, stir rapidly with a whisk, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add pureed sprouts, milk, and nutmeg.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add cream and Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat just to a simmer.
- Swirl in remaining butter and serve hot.