Recipe by yogiclarebear
DH was getting bored of salads with dinner, so I came up with this delicious soup so he could still get his green vegetables. It takes advantage of the "steam in the bag" broccoli from Mann's Fresh Produce. You can make this as chunky or creamy as you like by varying the mashing/pureeing/chopping.
- 24 ounces chopped broccoli (3- 12 oz bags of Mann's Broccoli Wokly)
- 1 1⁄2 cups baby carrots, chopped finely (9 oz)
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped (4 oz)
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped (3 oz)
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- reduced-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, add broth, carrots, onion, celery, and spices. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium/low and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli in bags according to package directions. Put the first bag of broccoli in a bowl and mash with a potato masher. Puree the second bag in a food processor and add it to the bowl. Chop the broccoli from the final bag and add it to the bowl.
- After 20 minutes, add the broccoli to the pot, stir and simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes.
- Add the fat-free half and half, stir, and heat through.
- Serve topped with reduced fat cheddar cheese!