Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Has some extra flavor than regular broccoli soups. Makes a nice-sized pot of soup. Servings are a guess.
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped white and light green parts
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half, can use regular
- 2 cups shredded gouda cheese (any mild cheese is good too) or 2 cups cheddar cheese (any mild cheese is good too)
- salt, to taste
- Place broccoli, onions, leeks, potatoes, celery, carrots, garlic, soup base and pepper in a large soup pot. Add enough water to just cover.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Using an immersion blender (or use a food processor or blender) puree.
- Retun to pot.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the butter/flour roux to the soup pot.
- Add half and half and cheese. Heat gently to melt cheese and thicken, stirring very often.
- Add salt and/or more pepper to taste.