Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a lovely creamed soup, thick with veggies and flavor. It is something to serve company with a loaf of homemade bread and a salad. A country inn near us serves a soup similar to this, and has for years attracted people with it. This is the closest to it that I can get. Sometimes I think that this is better. I think the unique flavor is the cumin. It is delicious.
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 1 small head of broccoli (separated)
- 1 sweet potato (chopped)
- 1 medium zucchini (diced)
- 1419.54 ml chicken broth
- 14.78 ml Cremora
- 2.46 ml celery seed
- 0.25 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml basil
- 1.23 ml tarragon
- 2.46 ml cumin
- salt and pepper
- 177.44 ml instant instant potato flakes
- 236.59 ml cream
- Note before you start; the basil, tarragon, and cumin are added to taste--keep tasing till you get it the way you want it.
- Break up the broccoli into flowerettes and simmer alone in another pan; set aside.
- Cover the bottom of a large pot with butter and saute onions till golden, but not brown.
- Add the sweet potato and zucchini.
- Stir till veggies are hot and then cover with the chicken stock.
- Put a colander down into the pot of liquid so that the liquid is up through the holes.
- Measure the stock because this determines how much Creamora to put in (1 teaspoon of Creamora to 1 cup of liquid) and with a whisk, whisk in the Cremora.
- Add the celery seed, nutmeg, basil, tarragon, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the Potato Buds to the colander whisking all the time till it is thick.
- Then gently take out the colaner and stir. You can use more or less depending on the thickness that you like.
- Add the cream for extra richness (or a small can of evaporated milk would also do).
- Then add the broccoli using as much as you like.
- Do not boil this soup.