Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make this every Christmas Eve.
- 1 bunch broccoli, heads and stems chopped (peel stems)
- 1 lb peeled shrimp, rough chop
- 16 ounces cream
- 16 ounces milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot, melt butter and saute shallots about 3 minutes.
- Add flour and saute about 3 minutes (forms a paste).
- Whisk in cream a little at a time to prevent lumps.
- Add milk, bouillon cubes and spices.
- Add broccoli and shrimp.
- Bring to a rolling simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool about 15 minutes then place in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Reheat on low 30 minutes prior to serving.
I followed the recipe except that i used garlic instead of a shallot, because i didn't have any. i also used whole milk instead of cream. i hand blended the brocolli for a smoother soup. i wondered about the combo with the shrimp, but i had the stuff to make it, so i thought i would try it. its good enough to eat! :)