Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
In my post Christmas quest to lose 20 lbs, I came up with this recipe! Besides being quite tasty, its economical - enjoy the tender broccoli florets as a side one day & use the tougher stalks to make this soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch broccoli stem
- 5 cups vegetable stock or 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat; saute onion& garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Peel the broccoli stalks& cut into 1/2 inch rounds; saute, stirring occasionally for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, water, oats& seasonings; bring to a boil, reduce heat& simmer for about 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Being careful with this hot liquid, puree in batches in a blender; return to the pot& test for seasonings.
Liked the flavor of this soup quite a bit. Everyone enjoyed it and have to say the nutmeg and white pepper really made it for me. EASY! Thanks CountryLady.