Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very creamy soup from Everyday Foods magazine. It's quick and easy, plus it is healthier than the traditional creamed soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- coarse salt and pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 head broccoli, chopped (about 3 lbs)
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add broth, broccoli, potato, and 2 cups of water. Season generously with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until broccoli and potato are just tender.
- Working in batches, puree soup in a blender and return to the pot. Stir in cream and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.